Tuesday, January 12, 2010

12 January: Numbers as a Language

In the early civilizations, people invented calendars to meet basic needs. As a result, number systems are from different cultures invented different number systems. If I have the choice, I will pick Roman numbers to represent the year 2010. This is due to the fact that they are very common yet interesting. I also think using Roman numbers is interesting as numbers are represented in letters.(For example: I[one], V[five], X[ten], L[fifty], C[one hundred], D[five hundred], M[one thousand]) The main reason I want 2010 to be represented by Roman letters is because the year is going to be challenging. Furthermore, Roman numbers is "difficult and tricky".

2 comments:

Loh Kwai Yin said...

Hi Ming En

Thanks for sharing.
Well, do you notice that Roman Numerals are pretty commonly used - be it in industry or even books that you read?

Well, how is 2010 represented in Roman numeral?

Loh Kwai Yin said...

BTW, noticed that you have not set the timing of your blog to Singapore time.

Try configuring it... if not sure? Just drop me an email :D